Re: Understanding Lilypond language

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: Understanding Lilypond language
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2014 16:31:49 -0700 (PDT)

Harald Christiansen wrote
> For example you say
> "Because \layout { ... } is not a music expression but rather an output
> definition. Different type. "
>
> and then later on:
>
> "There are no typed variables."
>
> In my mind these two do not work together ... for me there is some
> understanding missing.

There are different types of expressions (music expressions, output
definition expressions, etc.), but not different types of variables.  You
don't have to declare/define a variable's type, they are dynamically typed.

Put another way, output definitions like \layout {...} or \midi {...} are
not the same thing as music expressions like { c4 d e f }.  None of these
are variables, they are expressions, but they can be assigned to a variable.

You may find it easier to learn to fish by just doing some fishing, if you
know what I mean?

-Paul