Re: transposing cues

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: transposing cues
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2014 11:08:41 +0200

Paul Scott <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, Apr 06, 2014 at 08:49:50AM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
>> Paul Scott <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > Now how can I write a clarinet part that goes back and forth
>> > between Bb and A and get the cues transposed correcly?
>>
>> <URL:http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/displaying-pitches#index-transposition_002c-instrument>
>>
>> Second example.
>
> My apologies for poor statement of the question!  The above I am quite
> familiar with.
>
> I think your answer to my previous question about transposing cues
> will solve my problem with some work on my part.  The following
> modification of the documented example may or may not illustrate my
> need.  I actually now have an untransposed (concert pitch)
> clarinet part with cues that I want to make into a clarinet part where
> each section can be played on the clarinet that is easiest.

Sorry, but that's totally obfuscate.  You are inputting some stuff in B,
inputting some stuff in A, juggling around and transposing stuff.  It is
not clear what instruments should be playing the stuff in the end for
what reason.

When you _quote_ music, its \transpose setting is considered in the
quote.  Quotes refer to concert pitch.

When you put stuff in variables without knowing what transposition they
are supposed to be used for, don't put a \transpose statement into the
variable.  Instead, specify the \transpose where you actually know what
instrument you are playing.

> The last flute cue is not transposed correctly which I guess
> is answered by your previous answer.

So what are you aiming for?  You have the answer, know what you are
supposed to do but would like somebody else to do it?

I don't get it.  Or at least I hope so.

--
David Kastrup