Re: Automatically realize figured bass

From: Malte Meyn
Subject: Re: Automatically realize figured bass
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2014 10:24:53 +0200

Hi Richard,

One thing I think you would need is the ability to set the likely rate
of chord change - figured bass is an ambiguous notation even when the
figures are relatively complete (and they are rarely that) - but on the
question of whether a note is to be treated as a passing note or a
harmony note it is completely silent.

I already thought about that: maybe one could say something like “only look at the bass notes every quarter note (except if there are additional figures on smaller notes)” and let the user set this shortest duration (maybe defaulting to 1/4).

I guess you could consider using Denemo as your representation of the
data (bass notes with figures attached, and if you want to really push
the boat out, all the other notes that are being sounded at the same
time). It has a scheme interface which allows you to enquire about notes
and their durations, iterate, etc and it does have a separate data type
for the attached figures.

I will have a look on that, it sounds as if Denemo could be helpful. Also, looking at notes from other instruments could help to recognize whether a major or minor chord should be played or there is an implicite 6 (for example on a B (natural) in a piece in D minor).

I have quite a large collection
(several hundred) of scores with figured bass in Denemo format (and
hence available also in LilyPond format), if they would be of use to
you. They include the entire set of Handels figured bass exercises,
which covers quite a lot of figured bass notation (these are publicly
available in the Denemo distribution itself).

I think I’ll use Händel’s exercises, thanks for the suggestion! And if I need more “test material”, I’ll ask you again ;)

Thanks,
Malte