Re: LilyPond-Book on Windows

From: Br. Samuel Springuel
Subject: Re: LilyPond-Book on Windows
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2014 20:30:58 -0400

The ~ is what Windows uses to create "short names" in their file structure.

For instance:
c:\docume~1\admin\locals~1\temp\tmpv3qfrb.tex

Refers to
C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Local Settings\Temp\tmpv3qfrb.tex

In this example, "Documents and Settings" has been shortened to "docuem~1" and "Local Settings" to "locals~1". In both cases this is the first 6 non-space characters in the long name plus ~ plus a number (which is varied if there is more than one folder for which the first 6 non-space characters in the long name are identical). Folders with names 8 characters long or less are not affected by the shortening process except to remove spaces.

While I'm not entirely sure why lilypond-book is using them, I suspect it probably has something to do with the fact that this path points to the default temporary directory. On all Windows operating systems the temporary directory is localized within the user profile. In XP, it looks like the above. In Vista, 7, and 8 it would be C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Local\Temp.

If you want to avoid those temporary directories, it is possible to change the temporary directory by changing the value of the environment variable TEMP. From the command line (or in a batch file) this would be done with:

SET TEMP=C:\whatever\path\you\want

Do you want me to try running the lilypond-book commands again after switching the temporary directory to a simpler path?
Br. Samuel
(R. Padraic Springuel)

PAX ☧ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ