Re: Interspersed Staffs and ChoirStaffs

From: Michael Welsh Duggan
Subject: Re: Interspersed Staffs and ChoirStaffs
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 11:43:18 -0400

"Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> writes:

> Michael Welsh Duggan wrote Thursday, April 10, 2014 5:18 AM
>
>> I'm trying to produce a score which contains choir staffs interspersed
>> with solo staffs.  I've tried the included, but my naive attempt isn't
>> working.
>
> The way to do this is not obvious, and the manuals don't give much
> help.  The key is to lay out the solo staves and choir staves as you
> would if they all contained notes throughout.  Then place rests where
> the various parts are silent.  Then use
>
>   \with {
>     \override VerticalAxisGroup.remove-empty = ##t
>     \override VerticalAxisGroup.remove-first = ##t  % optionally
>   }
>
> in the ChoirStaff and each of the solo staves to remove staves from
> systems where they are empty.  Judicious use of manual breaks can
> improve the layout.

Yes, I had feared this might be the case.  I really hoped there would be
something easier to use.  I guess I now need some scheme that will
determine the duration of a music expression and fill in rests in a
particular voice (or voices) to suit.  If anyone knows how to do that
off-hand, please let me know.  Otherwise I will hack and experiment
later tonight.

--
Michael Welsh Duggan
(address@hidden)