Re: Multi Voice Rests - Not Showing

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Multi Voice Rests - Not Showing
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 18:03:50 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stephen Sheasby" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2014 4:57 PM
Subject: Multi Voice Rests - Not Showing

Hi everyone,

I have been trying to get this to work but with no success. Here is a synopsis of what is happening:

1. I have 2 voices that I am combining on one staff.
2. There are differing rests for each voice.
3. Depending on which voice I list first in partcombine will be the voice which displays the rest, if that makes sense. 4. I tried specifying the rest position for each thinking that perhaps it was a collision problem.
5. By only displaying one voice, the rests show correctly.

From what I can gather the default behavior should be to display the rest but it doesn’t for. I would appreciate any advice. Here is the markup:

\version "2.18.2-1"  % necessary for upgrading to future LilyPond versions.
\language "english"

upperA = \relative c' {
\numericTimeSignature
\key e \major % -- Change Key as needed.
\time 4/4
\override Voice.Accidental.stencil = ##f
\override Voice.AccidentalCautionary.stencil = ##f
\stemUp e2 d'2\rest |
}

upperB = \relative c' {
\override Voice.Accidental.stencil = ##f
\override Voice.AccidentalCautionary.stencil = ##f
\stemDown <a c>2 g4\rest \stemDown <a c>4 |
}

\score {
<<
\new PianoStaff <<
\new Staff \with { printPartCombineTexts = ##f } {
\partcombine \upperA \upperB

Does this work as you want? (note positioning possibly notwithstanding):

\version "2.18.2"
upperA = \relative c' {
e2 r2 |
}