Re: MIDI files

From: Gilberto Agostinho
Subject: Re: MIDI files
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 07:16:55 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Johan,

Johan Vromans wrote
> I'm puzzled what you mean by 'length'.

By length I meant the musical duration (total number of beats of the little
file, i.e. number of quarter notes, all files using the same tempo). When I
say two files of the same length stay with their beats synchronized, I meant
two files of, let's say, 2 quarter notes each.

Johan Vromans wrote
> 10 measures of 4 quarter notes at q=120 should be exactly 20 seconds.

Yes, indeed they should, but apparently they don't. This is exactly my
problem.

Johan Vromans wrote
> And what do you expect by synchronizing with a files of different lengths?

I expect that the beats would stay synchronized, not the total duration of
files. Take this example: a file contains this code: { \time 2/4 c'4 g } and
the other contains this: { \time 3/4 e'4 g' c'' }. Certainly the music will
be shifting (3:2 ratio, or for every 3 repetitions of the first, the second
will be repeated twice, and then their first note will coincide again), but
the beats should be simultaneous (both are made only of quarter notes). But
if I play these MIDI files at the same time and in a loop, their beats
slowly start to shift out of phase.

Johan Vromans wrote
>> I also tried to generate MIDI files with
>> other music programs as well, and so far nothing really worked out,
>> all MIDI files I got so far show the same problem (but curiously
>> enough, the amount of shortening-extending depends on the program
>> being used to generate them!).
> I would be interested to take a look at some of these...

Well, the worst MIDI files were generated by NoteWorthy Composer (it was a
shot in the dark). The files are clearly shorter, you can listen to it by
simply looping them on Max MSP. I also had a similar problem with files
generated by Sibelius, but not so bad as with NWC.

It worth mentioning that the Max MSP object that I am using accepts only
MIDI type 0 files, and since LilyPond outputs type 1, I do need to convert
them. I didn't think about this before, but this problem might have
something to do with my converter. I will try to use some different program
for this and see how it goes.

Thanks a lot for your message! Take care,
Gilberto