Re: Certain accidentals

From: Brian Barker
Subject: Re: Certain accidentals
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 07:26:49 +0100

At 23:09 17/04/2014 -0300, Alfredo Noname wrote:
I sometimes have to write many accidentals in a bar and was wondering if there was a way I could write the music in C major and then transpose only the notes I need to be "sharpened" or flattened.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean here. Accidentals are the additional markers that will appear where necessary in the final engraving to show notes that vary from what the key signature indicates. You will want those, of course - and they are no difficulty, since Lilypond will do the work of deciding where they are necessary.

But perhaps you are referring to the method of textual input in Lilypond, where notes that are named "sharp" or "flat" need to be qualified as such, notwithstanding what the \key indication would appear already to imply. (In this way, Lilypond operates somewhat counterintuitively and against normal musical thinking.) Yes: this means that manual construction of a .ly file is harder work when the key requires many sharps or flats. And in that case it is perfectly possible to construct a file using "\key c \major" and sharp or flat suffixes only where true accidentals will be necessary, and then to use \transpose to convert it in a stroke to the key and representation you actually require.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker