Re: Bach Cello Suite for Bassoon...Typed in LilyPond!!!

From: Mark Mathias
Subject: Re: Bach Cello Suite for Bassoon...Typed in LilyPond!!!
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 15:24:13 -0400

>> I also used to be managing editor of a music publisher in the days when
engraving was done with a re-built Olympia typewriter and hand-drawn slurs.

>I would like to nominate this as the single most insane sentence to be posted
on this mailing list all week. Perhaps all month.

@James: If you are questioning the sanity of producing music this way (due to its difficulty), consider the only alternative at that time: hand engraving every mark on the music page on a copper plate with awl, hammer and symbols cast on the ends of metal punches! Believe me, this was a step up, and my wife and children had no doubt of my sanity when the paycheck arrived! :-)

>Music engraving with a typewriter? Does anyone have a photo of this? I'm really intrigued!

@Ryan: Sorry, the only pictures of this process I possess are memories at this point in time. We were too busy producing the music to get out a camera and develop the film!

Best Wishes Everyone!
Mark

On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 1:06 PM, Shane Brandes <address@hidden> wrote:
Have you looked at the Anna Magdalena copy? The phrasing is different.