Re: Organ Fingering Notation

From: Nick Payne
Subject: Re: Organ Fingering Notation
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 17:16:49 +1000

On 22/04/14 14:47, Brian Barker wrote:
At 11:19 21/04/2014 -0700, Zack Noname wrote:
There is a fingering symbol that I don't know the name of (and so it is hard to look up in the documentation without a name) ...
If I want the alto voice on the treble staff played with the left hand there is a symbol that looks like [ without the bottom line and if I want the note on the bass clef played with the right hand its a [ without the upper line ...

Anyone know what I'm "talking" about?

Interestingly, Elaine Gould knows what you are talking about but also doesn't know their name:
A verbal instruction may indicate that notes are to be taken with the other hand. ... Alternatively, such notes may be shown with an incomplete bracket, extending vertically from the notehead upwards for right-hand notes, downwards for left-hand notes. (at p. 305)

You can make the symbols with postscript markup, but if you want the symbols next to the notehead then they would have to be moved from the default markup position:

\version "2.19.4"

rh = \markup { \postscript #"0.18 setlinewidth 0 0 moveto -1 0 rlineto 0 2.5 rlineto stroke" }

lh = \markup { \postscript #"0.18 setlinewidth 0 0 moveto 0 2.5 rlineto 1 0 rlineto stroke" }

\relative c'' {

c^\rh

c^\lh