Re: Lilypond for Klavarskribo?

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: Lilypond for Klavarskribo?
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 11:06:44 -0700 (PDT)

Antoon Dekker wrote
> I think it would be marvelous when Lilypond could be used to write
> Klavarskribo notation.

Hello Antoon,

That would seem appropriate since Klavarscribo and LilyPond both began in
the Netherlands.

As it turns out LilyPond is already flexible/extensible enough to handle
many of the central features of Klavarskribo.  See the example below which
uses a few overrides to achieve the line pattern of the Klavarscribo staff
and the chromatic note/pitch mapping on the staff.  There are also some
proportional rhythm notation options in LilyPond (although I have not used
them).  By using some overrides that call scheme functions one can achieve
Klavar's hollow and solid note/pitch pattern and the way it places "black
key" notes on one side of the stem and "white key" notes on the other.

I think the harder parts would be some of the particularities of Klavar's
rhythm notation and its vertically oriented staff...

On the other hand, there are already several software applications
specifically for Klavar[0] and I think some of them accept MIDI files as
input.  So as David mentions it might make sense to generate MIDI files
using LilyPond and then feed them into one of these Klavar-specific
programs?  (Or perhaps MusicXML files when/if LilyPond or Frescobaldi can
export them.)

I've been working on using LilyPond for "chromatic staff" notation systems
like Klavar for awhile now.  I'm now able to support all aspects of
Clairnote music notation (which is my main interest) by using an include
file.[1]  You might also be interested in the Music Notation Project and its
wiki page on using LilyPond for these types of notation systems.[2]

(I'm personally not so keen on Klavar because it makes the appearance of
intervals less consistent and obscures interval relationships by effectively
"doubling down" on C Major, the irregular 7-5 piano keyboard layout, and the
white-key/black-key distinction.  Although I imagine it works well for piano
players, like a tablature, and everyone has their own preferences and
priorities. I hear that Klavar is doing well in China, but I digress...)

Cheers,
-Paul

[0] listed lower on the page here: http://musicnotation.org/software/
[1] http://clairnote.org/  and  http://clairnote.org/software/
[2] http://musicnotation.org/ and
http://musicnotation.org/wiki/software-wiki/lilypond/

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
% EXAMPLE

\version "2.18.2"

notes = \relative f' {
  c4 d e f
  g a b c
  d e f g
  cis,,, dis fis gis
  ais cis dis fis
  gis ais cis dis
  fis gis ais2
}

\new Staff \with {
  \override StaffSymbol.line-positions = #'(-5 -3 0 2 4 7 9)
  \override StaffSymbol.ledger-positions = #'(-5 -3 0 2 4 7)
  staffLineLayoutFunction = #ly:pitch-semitones
  \remove Accidental_engraver
  \override Stem.no-stem-extend = ##t
} {
  <<