Re: Move tie to the end(top) of the stem

From: Knute Snortum
Subject: Re: Move tie to the end(top) of the stem
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 15:26:50 -0700

I can see your point.  I'm trying to get the LilyPond score to look like the original, but maybe in this case a slavish concern for exactness isn't appropriate.

Knute Snortum
(via Gmail)

On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 11:10 PM, Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> wrote:

>> On Apr 21, 2014, at 5:01 PM, Knute Snortum <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a piece I'm typesetting where an internal voice needs a tie, but
>>> \tieDown isn't enough.  The tie spanner needs to be at the bottom (in this
>>> case) of the stems.  Here is a snippet that illustrates the problem:
>>>
>>> \version "2.18.2"
>>> \new Staff {
>>> \key bes \major
>>> \time 5/4
>>> <<
>>> {
>>> <bes bes'>8[ <c' c''> <ees' ees''> <bes bes'>]
>>> } \\
>>> {
>>> \override Stem.length = #8.0
>>> \stemDown ees'2.
>
> [Alternatively, use the override inserted below.]
> \once\override Tie.staff-position = #-9
>
>>> ees'4 ~ ees'8 r8
>>> }
>>> }

This is a very bad idea and an engraving error: moving the tie like
this makes it look like a slur.
Conor's solution is the way to go.

best,
Janek