Re: Pull in external LilyPond files into a score of movements

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: Pull in external LilyPond files into a score of movements
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 15:52:11 -0700 (PDT)

Knute Snortum wrote
> Okay, that looks good.  But there are two things:  First, can the files be
> *.ly files instead of *.ily files?  And if not, will *.ily files compile
> standalone?  (People will still want to download just one movement.)

Hi Knute, I'm pretty sure LilyPond treats them both the same.  As I
understand it using .ly or .ily is just a way to help us humans keep track
of which files are meant to be included and which are not.

Knute Snortum wrote
> Second, when I tried to use includes, I got a message saying it couldn't
> find the file.  Then it gave me a search path for the includes.  None of
> them were the current directory (.).  If I have to put the files in some
> standard include directory, it's not going to work.

See:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/including-lilypond-files

"Files in the current working directory may be referenced by specifying just
the file name after the \include command. Files in other locations may be
included by giving either a full path reference or a relative path
reference"

HTH,
-Paul