Re: frescobaldi vs. org-babel-lilypond

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: frescobaldi vs. org-babel-lilypond
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 01:02:35 +0200

Am 27.04.2014 20:15, schrieb Steven Arntson:
I may be getting in over my head with this question. I'm a new user of Lilypond,
transitioning away from Musescore. I've
been using Frescobaldi a bit, and am impressed with it so far.

However, I see there's an Emacs mode available through org-babel called
"Arrange Mode". I'm a user of Emacs (though far from an expert!), and I
love the environment.

Does anyone have familiarity with both, who could highlight a few of the
differences? Frescobaldi has many features I doubt I'll use much (such
as the Quick Insert menu). Mainly what I like about it is the
integration of the windows--text entry, music display, lilypond
messages, and MIDI playback. I wonder if that could be done with a
dedicated Emacs instance.

I don't know the Emacs mode so I won't make a recommendation (which would be very much biased as I'm a heavy Frescobaldi user).

But what I think could be an interesting aspect for you is: If you're already an Emacs user you might be able to integrate LilyPond work well with your existing toolchains with that.

I think I'm right that one can transpose scores in Frescobaldi? And
maybe not in Arrange Mode. That could be a deciding factor.

I'm not completely sure what your use case is here. But in general you wouldn't use your editor to transpose a score as a whole (i.e. change all the pitches in the input file). If you want to do that you'd usually let LilyPond do the work for you.

HTH
Urs

Thank you!
Steven Arntson