Re: frescobaldi vs. org-babel-lilypond

From: Vaughan McAlley
Subject: Re: frescobaldi vs. org-babel-lilypond
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 12:22:23 +1000

On 28 April 2014 09:56, Steven Arntson <address@hidden> wrote:
> Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Am 27.04.2014 20:15, schrieb Steven Arntson:
>>> I may be getting in over my head with this question. I'm a new user
>>> of Lilypond,
>>> transitioning away from Musescore. I've
>>> been using Frescobaldi a bit, and am impressed with it so far.
>>>
>>> However, I see there's an Emacs mode available through org-babel called
>>> "Arrange Mode". I'm a user of Emacs (though far from an expert!), and I
>>> love the environment.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have familiarity with both, who could highlight a few of
>>> the
>>> differences? Frescobaldi has many features I doubt I'll use much (such
>>> as the Quick Insert menu). Mainly what I like about it is the
>>> integration of the windows--text entry, music display, lilypond
>>> messages, and MIDI playback. I wonder if that could be done with a
>>> dedicated Emacs instance.
>>
>> I don't know the Emacs mode so I won't make a recommendation (which
>> would be very much biased as I'm a heavy Frescobaldi user).
>>
>> But what I think could be an interesting aspect for you is: If you're
>> already an Emacs user you might be able to integrate LilyPond work
>> well with your existing toolchains with that.
>
> That's definitely a consideration for me. Emacs has a mode called
> org-mode that provides some conveniences for manipulating
> large text files, maintaining "to do" notes, &c. I'm a writer by trade, and I
> use it to organize the
> text of novels. I may repost this in an Emacs forum, too, to see if
> anyone's using Lilypond there.
>

>>> I think I'm right that one can transpose scores in Frescobaldi? And
>>> maybe not in Arrange Mode. That could be a deciding factor.
>>
>> I'm not completely sure what your use case is here. But in general you
>> wouldn't use your editor to transpose a score as a whole (i.e. change
>> all the pitches in the input file). If you want to do that you'd
>> usually let LilyPond do the work for you.
>
> I'm new enough to this that I don't even know what functions are
> supplied by Lilypond and what by Frescobaldi! But this sounds like
> perhaps I could have Lilypond transpose something regardless of what
> frontend I'm using.
>
> Most of my use at present involves adapting some songs for an instrument
> that is not completely chromatic--so I'm entering the pitches as
> written, and then sort of nudging it up and down until I find a key that
> is playable.
>
> Thank you!
> steven
>

>> HTH
>> Urs
>>

>>> Thank you!
>>> Steven Arntson

There definitely is a use for Frescobaldi’s transpose feature, such as
if you’re trying to find the right for something. I sometimes input
music from a transposed
modern edition (or my own Finale edition) of renaissance music, and
transpose the note names with Frescobaldi. If you like your G-sharp in
the music to be a gis in the source it’s a great feature to have.

The Frescobaldi pitch and rhythm functions are also great for getting
music from elsewhere (eg. musicxml2ly) into a style you feel
comfortable with.

Vaughan