Re: Request for advice: how to install documents

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: Request for advice: how to install documents
Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 15:29:02 +0200

Lubuntu 12.04, I recently downloaded Lilypond 2.18.2, (Linux generic package
from lilypond.org/unix.html ) Then

sudo sh ./lilypond-2.18.2-1.linux-x86.sh --doc --prefix /usr/local
[password]

--prefix is not needed because /usr/local is the default path when the installer is run as root.

This ran without visible error and lilypond works, but the documents are badly
installed:

1. Man pages are in    /usr/local/lilypond/usr/share/man/man1   (at least the
ones I have found) and the man program cannot find them.

I can't test it, because 'man lilypond' opens the man pages of the debian package (version 2.16.2).
I don't know how to open those in /usr/local, I never use the man pages.

2. There are lots of  html  and  pdf  files in

/usr/local/lilypond/usr/share/doc/lilypond/html/Documentation

and sub-directories and there seem to be several  copies of everything that
is represented. So please is there a sensible way to install the documents?
By "sensible" I mean: one copy of each manual, and some convenient
way of reading it.

What's the problem here?
$ sensible-browser /usr/local/lilypond/usr/share/doc/lilypond/html/Documentation/web/index.html

and save the preferred page in your browser.
The LilyPond documentation packaged in Debian splits PDF and HTML manuals in two different packages/locations.
The contents of the doc files downloaded by the install script seems just a copy of a doc build.

Another problem appears when I try to read the manuals from the website.
The split HTML files have navigation buttons for next page etc, and I cannot
get them to work.

They work fine here. Maybe you are not describing the problem correctly?