Re: Add LilyPond incipit on an IMSLP page.

From: Pierre Perol-Schneider
Subject: Re: Add LilyPond incipit on an IMSLP page.
Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 16:49:35 +0200

It's the LilyPond plugin for MediaWiki?

Yep, see :  http://www.imslpforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7034&hilit=incipit

BTW, in January I launched a "survey" about contributions to Mutopia:

Hum, I've missed this one.

As far as I know, you never contributed to it (just had a look on Mutopia git repository).

No I didn't.

Can I  ask you why? It's because of the license restrictions (NonCommercial clause is not accepted by Mutopia)?

Because I'm no Mutopia user.

Now the right question would be why am I not a user ?
Well, few years ago I've downloaded one or two files and, as far as I remember :
a) None of'em were compilable.
b) Copy/paste-ing the notes took me much more time than rewriting the whole score after a facsimile.
c) Pdfs look bad (what's the purpose of such footers ??).

I've just take a quick look at the Mutopia site. I'd like to add :
a) it is written "The Mutopia Project offers sheet music editions of classical music for free download" ; which means that it is in direct competition with IMSLP. Does it make sense ?
b) the composer's pages are not user-friendly ; why not using a wiki system ?
c) a majority of (all ?) scores are coded "relatively" ; exept when coding for organ, piano, harp, etc. I never use \relative
d) there is no coding convention; many Mutopia codes (e.g. http://www.mutopiaproject.org/ftp/BrownCJ/lullaby/lullaby.ly)  give me headhaches.
e) there are numbers of pretty old version (v2.4 for this one : http://www.mutopiaproject.org/ftp/CarcassiM/O60/carcassi-op60-01/carcassi-op60-01.ly)
f)...etc. (too long)

I'd like to conclude that Mutopia site remains the same for years, no improvement, no discussion (except you, Federico). So, if nothing changes, I don't see any future for this site.

Cheers,
~Pierre