Re: Transposing instruments in orchestra score

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Transposing instruments in orchestra score
Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 19:18:23 -0400

Hello all,

Sorry I’m late to the party…

A critical feature of a proper and useable multi-instrumentalist framework
would be the ability to put in global variables which include the key
signature(s) for the work, and the part would present the correct transposition
of that key signature (as well as the pitches, of course) upon the
switchInstrument call.

David and I played around with some options last year, and the thread ended on
a less-than-enthusastic note. Perhaps it’s time to revive this and clean it up
once and for all? I can tell you for certain that a killer
multi-instrumentalist framework would go a very long way to enticing some of my
composer and MD buddies over to The Pond (or, as they refer to it, “The Dark
Side”).

Best,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer