Re: Transcribing individual score pages from scans

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Transcribing individual score pages from scans
Date: Fri, 09 May 2014 12:31:25 +0200

Am 09.05.2014 12:26, schrieb Urs Liska:
Am 09.05.2014 12:16, schrieb David Cuenca:
Hi,

I'm a contributor from Wikisource, an online digital library part of the
Wikimedia Foundation, where we transcribe works in the public domain.
Since
last year we have enabled a mediawiki extension to render scores [1],
which
now enables our users to transcribe pages with music like these [2] [3]

Of course that is great when a work is only one page long, but for us it
becomes problematic to stitch together all the different pages into a
single one (what we call "transclusion").
Some users are just considering each page independent, but that doesn't
allow us to generate a whole lilypond file for download. For instance
check
this Catalan song [4], if you click on "edit" you will see that we are
combining two pages [5] and [6], where the text resides.

What we would like is to combine these pages to generate the lilypond
file.
I have been checking the input structure documentation [7] and I found
"\book" and "\bookpart", but I didn't see anything like "\bookpage".
Is there any command that would help us to achieve the page separation
that
we need?

If I'm not mistaken that should be quite easy to achieve.
You can organize LilyPond input in variables, and you can combine those
variables to larger units. That is, you don't use variables only to
store the different parts in a score, but you can also separate
different sections of it.

I'm not completely sure if that fits your use case, but you may have a
start with something like:

violinPageI = Ĺ—elative c'' {
% some music
}

violinPageII = Ĺ—elative c'' {
% some music
}

violinMusic = {
   \violinPageI
   \violinPageII
}

\score {
   \new Staff \violinMusic
}

With this you can as well create alternative scores for individual pages
if you like.

Does that sound plausible?

Best
Urs

Oh, I've already a few additional remarks that I forgot.

Of course you will want to store the variables in individual files and include them.

If you have spanners reaching from one variable to another (e.g. slurs) you will have to enclose the variables in an explicitly created voice:

violinMusic = \new Voice {
% ...
}

Urs