proportional spacing… ?

From: Paul Malcolm
Subject: proportional spacing… ?
Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 17:52:45 +1000

Dear community, I am having trouble with what should be a basic problem.
That is, to achieve a fixed proportional spacing for a collection of notes all
of the same value
The attached file show the subsection of the Viola piece I am working on.
Its straight 6/8 time with 12 notes to each compounded beat.
I would like to space it evenly and if possible one bar/measure per line.

I cannot seem to get the proportional spacing to work at all. I have attached my lilypond code.
In this code I use

\override Score.SpacingSpanner #'uniform-stretching = ##t
\override Score.SpacingSpanner #'strict-note-spacing = ##t
\override Score.SpacingSpanner #'base-shortest-duration = #(ly:make-moment 1 4)
\set proportionalNotationDuration = #(ly:make-moment 1 4)

within the score block.

Its doing "something" but squashing some notes also

I did search the manuals but could not find anything to clarify. It seems there are numerous ways/commands to control horizontal spacings but which of these do I use ?
Should I add something extra is a layout section ?

Paul