Re: Mac testers needed for Frescobaldi!

From: jeff235
Subject: Re: Mac testers needed for Frescobaldi!
Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 07:49:21 -0700 (PDT)

On Tuesday, April 22, 2014 12:42:26 PM UTC+2, Davide Liessi wrote:
Dear Frescobaldi&LilyPond&Mac users,
as some of you may know, I'm trying to make Frescobaldi more
Mac-friendly, by packaging it as a native application bundle inside a
standard DMG disk image

Hello,

I had been using Frescobaldi successfully on OS X 10.9.2, installed via Homebrew. Everything was working well. A few days ago, the Music View (PDF viewer) stopped working, showing "Unable to load popplerqt4 module". I don't know what broke this. I recently installed a Canon Printer Driver system update from Apple, but other than that, I haven't done anything to my system.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling via Homebrew without success. Well, the install completed successfully, but still no Music View.

Next, I downloaded the DMG containing the standalone Mac app to see if that would work better for me. Sure enough, the Music View reappeared in all its glory. But I noticed that the MIDI player would no longer work for me. My setup is identical to when I was using the Homebrew version, and I had playback working with both SimpleSynth and Qsynth. With the standalone Mac app, though, when I click "Refresh MIDI ports" in MIDI settings with Qsynth running, nothing shows up in the "Player output" dropdown menu like it used to for me. At the top, it says "There are no MIDI output ports available on your system. Make sure PortMIDI is installed..."

Well, PortMIDI was installed via Homebrew, but I don't think the standalone app is seeing it. I looked in the Frameworks folder inside the Frescobaldi app bundle, but I did not see anything for PortMIDI there. Was this a packaging oversight or something else?

If I switch back to using the Homebrew version, MIDI playback works fine, but no Music View... In other words, I can either see the music or hear it, but not both.