Re: "dal segno" several times

From: Carlo Vanoni
Subject: Re: "dal segno" several times
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 08:44:40 +0100 (BST)

Thanks for the answers,

by the way, the song I told you about was just an example. It could be more complicated.
Another example.
Say I'm writing a modal composition, where the bass part is made of 4 "drones" of a single bar, each repeated 32 times. Something like:

firstDrone = { c4 d e f }
secondDrone = { d2 r2 }
thirdDrone = { c4 r c r }
fourthDrone = { c1 }
mainBassPart =
{
    \repeat volta 32 { \firstDrone \mark "x32" }
    \repeat volta 32 { \secondDrone \mark "x32" }
    \repeat volta 32 { \thirdDrone \mark "x32" }
    \repeat volta 32 { \fourthDrone \mark "x32" }
}

Now the song repeats 4 times all the mainBassPart (well, yeah, I surely suck at composing).
Unfolding the "repeat volta" as you suggested and put just the x4 main repeats will create a not-very-practical 128 measures sheet .
Having a "D.S. x4" (or what else can be used) will create a score that can be far more easy to read.

Il Martedì 13 Maggio 2014 2:19, Jim Long <address@hidden> ha scritto:
On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 05:53:33PM -0400, David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
> On Mon, 12 May 2014 12:56:27 -0700
> Jim Long <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 12:18:37PM +0100, Carlo Vanoni wrote:
> > >
> > > I have a simple song, where the verse is 4 measures repeated
> > > twice, and the chorus again 4 measures repeated twice.
>
> What would you do if you had seven verses? Or twenty?

I would still give the same advice:  Don't write

(Intro)
/Segno/
|: 4-bar verse  :|
|: 4-bar chorus :| "D.S. 7 times" (or 20)
(Outro)

but instead write:

(Intro)
|: 8-bar verse  |
|  8-bar chorus :| "play 7 times" (or 20)
(Outro)

The OP didn't mention lyrics, but sure, if there are some,
stack the stanzas up 7 or 20 deep under the melody staff.  Or
perhaps if there are that many stanzas, list them at the end
of the music, as per

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/stanzas#printing-stanzas-at-the-end

Then the performer should see pretty clearly how many times to
play the verse-chorus pair.