Re: relative pitch with song sections

From: Matthew Collett
Subject: Re: relative pitch with song sections
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 11:32:34 +1200

On 16/05/2014, at 10:08 am, Simon Albrecht <address@hidden> wrote:

> At first I was also inclined towards saying that it’s correct to add the 8
> and it doesn’t hurt anyone, so why not just leave it where Lily puts it by
> default.
> Then I thought of a counter-example: some orchestra instruments (most notably
> double basses, but also contrabassoons and maybe others) to sound an octave
> lower than written, and the very best of hand-engraved scores all don’t have
> a clef modifier (i.e. an "8" below – or above – the clef).

One could reasonably argue that contrabass instruments are transposing
instruments -- transposing by an octave.  That is, the fact that they sound an
octave lower than written is a well-known property of the instrument (not of
the score), and is implied by the fact that the part is marked as being for
that instrument, in exactly the same way that marking a part as for a (B-flat)
trumpet implies that it sounds a tone lower than written.  I would be less
persuaded by the same argument made for a guitar.

Best wishes,
Matthew