lilypond ram disk

From: Jim Tisdall
Subject: lilypond ram disk
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 15:15:03 -0400

Has anyone had good - or bad or indifferent- results by installing
the lilypond software onto a ram disk?

I find that my fairly spiffy server, typesetting a very small score,
takes about 12-15 seconds ... unless I've just typeset another one,
and the program is still mostly loaded in memory,
in which case it takes maybe 3 seconds.

If I could make that speedup permanent, it would be huge
for my (interactive) work.   And that's what a ram disk may
possibly enable - anyone done this?

(I work on a mac server but any linux/unix/pc experience
would be very interesting to me.)

Peace,
Jim