Re: Setting "accent notes" in a drum staff

From: Jim Long
Subject: Re: Setting "accent notes" in a drum staff
Date: Sun, 25 May 2014 14:59:06 -0700

On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 10:45:42PM +0200, Markus Brueckner wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> Especially in Swing/Jazz music, notation is sometimes quite minimal, the
> whole sheet consisting more or less only of \repeat percent something.
> What is quite common is the notation of unison accents as some kind of
> "second voice" above the line (see [0] for an example. The small notes
> on top of the line are basically the rhythm of what the whole band plays
> at that point. The notes are quite a bit smaller than what would be on
> the line, if there was something).

I create lead sheets with rhythmic "cues" using something like:

(this is older 2.16-ish syntax, but should still work with 2.18.
Adjust some of these values to suit your taste.)

rhythmMarks = \new RhythmicStaff \with {

  \override StaffSymbol #'line-count = #0
  \override StaffSymbol #'staff-space = #(magstep -3)
  \override StaffSymbol #'stencil = ##f
  \override BarLine #'stencil = ##f
  \override NoteHead #'style = #'slash
  \override TimeSignature #'transparent = ##t
  \override VerticalAxisGroup
    #'staff-staff-spacing =
           #'((basic-distance . 0)
              (minimum-distance . 0)
              (padding . 1.0))
} {
  \set fontSize = #-4
  \stemDown
  s1*4
  s1*20
  s1*16
  s1*16
  s1*8
  r4 b-> r r | r4 b-> r r
  r8 b b[ b] b[ b] b[ b] | b r r b ~ b2
} % rhythmMarks

I then include that as simultaneous music, something like:

\score {
  <<
    \harmonies
    \rhythmMarks
    \melody

}

I hope that gives you some ideas.  I'm attaching a lame example that I had
sitting around already.  The "rhythms" variable is the important one.
There's a lot of other cruft in the other simultaneous contexts
that isn't strictly pertinent to your question.

Jim