Re: LilyJAZZ in v2.18

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: LilyJAZZ in v2.18
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 14:12:57 -0500

On May 26, 2014, at 9:38 AM, Pierre Perol-Schneider <address@hidden> wrote:

> What exactly do you mean?
>
> Dear Urs,
> When I started to make scores with LilyJAZZ few days ago it was, of course,
> with instruments I'm familiar with (guitar, bass, trumpet). And that helped
> me to find some enhancement.
> Now the purpose of this thread was to get feedbacks from other RealBook users
> (e.g. pianists, percussionists, etc.) who could tell what needs to be
> improved/enhenced/created for their instruments.

The chief things for me would be in LilyPond rather than in LilyJAZZ:

     -the ability to set the LilyJAZZ font globally rather than having to use
\jazzOn and \jazzOff, setting the font for chordnames, for \mark and \markup,
etc.  This may already exist and I just don’t know the invocation.

     -on the Mac, Lilypond being able to find fonts in the “normal” Mac places
(/Library/Fonts and ~/Library/Fonts).  As it stands I have to manually drill
down into the Lilypond.app bundle to place the fonts in there as Lilypond
doesn’t seem to be able to find them otherwise.  I don’t know if this is a
problem on Windows, Linux, etc.

The notes are more easily readable on the bandstand using LilyJAZZ than the
default music font, I think because the shapes are simpler.  This is helpful in
the jazz setting since musicians frequently don’t see the chart until just
before the downbeat.

> What I meant is that I think LilyJAZZ still needs to be tested some more
> before being put in the snippet repo.
> Juste a small example : I've started the FontForge tutorial during the
> weekend to see how to manage the apostrophe

At least in song titles I find a very acceptable apostrophe glyph when using
LilyJAZZ.  See:

> but also how to create a small "m" in order to avoid any confusion between
> major and minor chords.

My solution for that was to change my chord exceptions to A-7 instead of Am7 or
Amin7.  I also have major chords defined as Amaj7.  That eliminates the
confusion and jazz musicians are familiar with the A-7 format so they will get
it right off.  For example: