Choice of Extraneous Bars or No Accidental

From: John McChesney-Young
Subject: Choice of Extraneous Bars or No Accidental
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 03:23:49 +0000 (UTC)

I'm new to Lilypond and I'm having trouble with a piece of music with
irregular timing which I want to transcribe from a printed source primarily
so I can have the program transpose it down. Here's a brief working excerpt
that displays the problem:

\version "2.18.2"
\relative c''
{
{
\clef "treble" \key a \major \time 4/4
%three well-behaved measures snipped
<<fis,4 cis'2(>> eis,4) fis2~( \bar "||"
fis\breve \bar "|"
<<eis2 gis)>> \bar ":|."

When I compile that, I get an extra single bar before my manual double bar
and after the breve I get two extra single bars for a total of three before
the final measure.

I did some research and discovered that cadenzaOn/Off will suppress
automatic bars. I added it to my code and it solved the bars problem nicely
but now the e# accidental in the last measure has lost its # marking.

\version "2.18.2"
\relative c''
{
{\clef "treble" \key a \major \time 4/4
\cadenzaOn
%three well-behaved measures snipped
<<fis,4 cis'2(>> eis,4) fis2~( \bar "||"
fis\breve \bar "|"
\cadenzaOff
<<eis2 gis)>> \bar ":|."

Perhaps Lilypond sees the sharp marking two measures back and is
disregarding my manual bars and considering the two notes to be in the same
measure? That seems odd to me since the second use of the accidental is
after cadenzaOff.

How can I have both the bars and the accidental markings? I don't want to
have to go back to abcs or MuseScore (although I suspect the latter would
have trouble with this too).

Thanks very much!

John