Re: Widening ledger lines by overriding LedgerLineSpanner

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: Widening ledger lines by overriding LedgerLineSpanner
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 16:31:04 -0700 (PDT)

Paul Morris wrote
> It seems that if minimum-length-fraction is larger than length-fraction
> then it doesn't affect the length of ledger lines, but only the spacing
> between them and other things.  If it is smaller than length-fraction then
> it does work as a minimum length for the ledger line in cases where there
> are collisions between ledger lines and anything that is not a ledger
> line.  (?)

It occurs to me that minimum-length-fraction is probably never supposed to
be larger than length-fraction.  That would mean that the way it increases
the spacing between the notes when it is larger is just an unintended
result.

It seems that length-fraction basically works like a maximum length, and by
default ledger lines will extend as far as they can towards this max length
given the space available.  Then minimum-length-fraction is the minimum
length for when there are collisions, and it can "push" notes further apart
if needed to achieve that minimum length in those cases.

-Paul