Special Characters in Lyrics

From: Br. Samuel Springuel
Subject: Special Characters in Lyrics
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2014 16:23:54 -0400

I'm trying to introduce an asterisk ("*") into a lyrics line in the following piece to indicate where the congregation should join in. However, I'm getting an error "unexpected *" when I try it. Take the asterisk out and everything works fine.

\version "2.18.2"
\language "english"
<<
\new Staff \with {
        \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
}
\relative c' {
        \key f \major
        \set Score.timing = ##f
        \omit Stem
e4 f( g ) g g-- \bar "|" g g (bflat) g g f f--( g--) \bar "|" f g bflat bflat( c ) bflat c d-- \bar "|" c bflat a g--( a bflat g ) g-- \bar "||"
}
\addlyrics {
The ri -- sen Lord *has robed him -- self with might; let us re -- joice and be glad and give him glo -- ry.
        }

The only place in the documentation where I can find mention of the asterisk is:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/chants-psalms-and-hymns.it.html

However, this just uses the asterisk as a regular character and has it in a markup, rather than a lyrics line, as so doesn't seem to be applicable.

Any suggestions on what I need to be doing differently?

Also, ideally I'd like the asterisk to be centered between "Lord" and "has" rather than attached to "has". Is there a way to make that happen?
--
Br. Samuel, OSB

PAX ☧ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ