Re: Missing font for IPA character

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: Missing font for IPA character
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2014 04:13:49 -0700 (PDT)

Oliver,

Normally, you can also try using an explicit call to grab the unicode
character, as outlined here:

http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/special-characters#unicode
<http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/special-characters#unicode>

However, the error you are experiencing appears to be caused by the default
roman font (Century Schoolbook L), which does not contain the Unicode
character you are looking for. You may need to  try a different font
<http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/fonts#entire-document-fonts>

.

Since you are putting this character in lyrics, you can do a simple override
to just the lyrics font using this:

\layout {
  \context {
    \Score
    \override LyricText #'font-name = "FONT NAME HERE"

I'm not sure how many fonts out there support this character (or any others
you may need), but a quick search showed three options that support very
many Unicode characters. These are:

- DejaVu font family (DejaVu Sans, DejaVu Serif, DejaVu Sans Mono)
- Free font family (FreeSans, FreeSerif, FreeMono)
- Droid font family (Droid Sans, Droid Serif, Droid Sans Mono)

I can confirm that each font family has the character you mentioned. Since
you are using Linux, these should be installed on your system, or you should
be able to get them easily since they are all freely available online. Good
luck!

-Abraham