Re: SystemStartBracket/Brace

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: SystemStartBracket/Brace
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2014 15:58:04 +0200

> Hello, All--
>
> To start, i'm using LilyPond 2.18.2.  To keep this short, here is how i've
> set up my score:
>
> \score {
>
>   \new GrandStaff
>     <<
>     \set GrandStaff.connectArpeggios = ##t
>
>        \new PianoStaff
>        \set PianoStaff.connectArpeggios = ##t
>          <<
>             \new Staff = "upper" \upper
>             \new Staff = "lower" \lower
>          >>

>        \new Staff = "feet" \feet
>
>     >>

> }
>
> Many will recognize this as a modification of the "organ template" in
> section 3.4.3 of the Learning Manual.  i put the entire system in a
> GrandStaff because i found it the only way to connect an arpeggio across all
> three staves.
>
> But getting to the point:  i would like the SystemStartBrace of the
> GrandStaff to span only the top two staves.  When i remove the
> System_start_delimiter_engraver from the GrandStaff and put it in the
> PianoStaff, i get no SystemStartBrace at all.  If i try \override
> GrandStaff.SystemStartBrace.collapse-height = #10, the SystemStartBrace
> never changes size, still spanning over all three staves.
>
> The last option has led to some behaviour that i just don't understand.  i
> can set the collapse-height number to as large as 21, and the brace remains.
> If i set the number to 22, the brace disappears.  Given that the total
> number of staff lines is 15, i don't see how that is conistent with this
> statement:  % Must be lower than the actual number of staff lines.  The
> quote came from the section of the Snippets manual on how to display a
> bracket with only one staff in a system.  Can i assume that the
> collapse-height property only works with one staff in a system, as per the
> snippet?  If not, then why did the property behave as it did in my override?
> After all, both 21 and 22 are greater than 15, so the brace should have
> disappeared when i set the collapse-height property to 16.  As i said, i
> don't understand, no matter how much i read.
>
> One more thing.  i nested all brackets and braces, defining the "feet" staff
> as a single staff in a system (as per the snippet mentioned above),
> attempting to get everything to print.  Only the brace for the GrandStaff
> and the bracket for the "feet" staff printed.  The brace for the PianoStaff
> did not print.  In fact, in my setup, it never prints--ever.  i even changed
> PianoStaff to StaffGroup, specifying a bracket instead of a brace, and still
> the bracket wouldn't print.  It appears to be ignored in the nesting
> procedure.
>
> So, after about fifteen hours struggling with this, i've taken to the group.
> i apologize for the length, but i wanted to be as thorough as possible.  i
> appreciate any and all help not just solving this problem, but also
> [...]

Hi,

is the following what you want?

\version "2.18.0"

\score {
  <<
    \new PianoStaff
      <<
      \new Staff = "upper" { c'''1\arpeggio  }
      \new Staff = "lower" { c'' 1\arpeggio  }

      \new Staff = "feet" { c'1\arpeggio }

  \layout {
    \context {
      \Score
      %% Is not the default for Score -> IR
      \consists "Span_arpeggio_engraver"
      connectArpeggios = ##t

HTH,
  Harm

P.S.
Please post a compilable example next time.