Re: SystemStartBracket/Brace

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: SystemStartBracket/Brace
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2014 18:28:56 +0200

Please *never* take the mailing list off the cc without announcement.
If people notice this after the fact, it means that they have to search
in their archives for the message and resend a copy to the mailing
list.  In this case, I resent the wrong message again.

It's a lot of hassle for the person involved, and it also means that you
think you, but not the mailing list, is entitled to further responses.

"address@hidden" <address@hidden> writes:

> Thank you for your help and solution.  Thomas Morley's was a little
> different, and each worked perfectly.  This alone is one of my
> favorite features of Lilypond.  i also see some errors i committed in
> frustration and stand gratefully corrected on all accounts.  i still
> have a few comments and one remaining question:
>
>> The last option has led to some behaviour that i just don't understand.  i
>> canset the collapse-height number to as large as 21, and the brace remains.
>>  If i
>>  set the number to 22, the brace disappears.
>>
>>> More accurately, it collapses.
>
> Understood!
>

>> Given that the total number of staff lines is 15, i don't see how that
>>  is conistent with this statement: % Must be lower than the actual
>>  number of staff lines.
>>
>>> How about "must be lower than the actual total height measured in staff
>>> lines"?
>

>> The quote came from the section of the Snippets manual on how to
>>  display a bracket with only one staff in a system.  Can i assume that
>>  the collapse-height property only works with one staff in a system, as
>>  per the snippet?
>>
>>> No.
>
> OK, and that's good to know--on both previous comments.  Still, why should the
> size of the brace have remained the same no what number i used from 0 to 21?

It either collapses (which means it disappears) or not.  If it doesn't
collapse, it spans all of the enclosing staves.

collapse-height is the most singularly uselessly defined property
I encountered so far.  It's main use is to avoid braces when one of two
grouped voices is removed because of the remove-first property, but its
definition causes, for example, bass tablature clefs (4 strings) and
guitar tablature clefs (6 strings) to look differently.

The unit should likely be "staves" for some reasonable definition of
"staff" rather than "height in xxx units".

But as long as that is its definition...

--
David Kastrup