Re: How to separate these voices??

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: How to separate these voices??
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2014 11:13:56 -0700 (PDT)

Steve,

Ok, here's what I got your snippet to do:

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n163143/polyphonic-notehead-collision-original.png>

I'm not sure how my solution plays into the rest of the piece you are
working on, but this works pretty well for me:

guitar = \relative c' {
  <<
  { e2. }   % voiceOne
  \\
  {}   % voiceTwo
  \\
  { <e,, e'>4 dis' cis }  % voiceThree
  \\
  { gis'8[ b] gis[ b] gis[ b] }  % voiceFour

}

global = {
  \time 3/4
  \key e \major
  \clef "G_8"
}

\score {
  \new Staff  {
    \global
    \guitar
  }
  \layout {}
}

which results in this:

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n163143/polyphonic-notehead-collision-partial-fix.png>

Personally, I don't quite like how far that pushed out the e-chord in
voiceThree because of the collision with the stem and the dot in voiceOne,
so we can force the e-chord to be a little closer to look like the 2nd and
3rd quarter notes, if you prefer, by adding an override before the e-chord:

guitar = \relative c' {
  <<
  { e2. }   % voiceOne
  \\
  {}   % voiceTwo
  \\
  { /*\once \override NoteColumn.force-hshift = #0.3*/ <e,, e'>4 dis' cis }
% voiceThree
  \\
  { gis'8[ b] gis[ b] gis[ b] }  % voiceFour

}

which looks like this:

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n163143/polyphonic-notehead-collision-fix.png>

I can't say that this would be the perfect solution, but I think adding the
override makes the timing more obvious for the performer. Hope that helps!

-Abraham