Re: More questions about using Lilypond for guitar music

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: More questions about using Lilypond for guitar music
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 12:37:36 +0200

Thank you for the kind person who helped me out the last time I was trying to get to grips with Lilypond and guitar music.  I suspect these two are more challenging.

1. Is it possible at all to combine bends with hammer-on / pull-offs at all?  (e.g., a hammer-on immediately followed by a bend, or a bend-release followed immediately by a pull-off)  From what I read, the answer is no - since the current implementation of bend hacks the slur, which is what is also used for hammer-on / pull-offs.  (And if that is the case, is there any chance it will be addressed at some point?)

The problem and the workaround are described in the current home of bend.ly:
https://github.com/openlilylib/snippets/tree/master/notation-snippets/guitar-string-bending

"""
You can't use hammer-on and pull-off when \bendOn is active, because this snippet uses and transforms the slur engraver. This implies that you cannot, for instance, start a pull-off right after a bend release. This is one of the reasons why a bend engraver is needed (see issue 1196 above). However, you can work around this problem by adding an hidden grace note where the pull-off should start; you may have to use the \shape command to adjust the slur shape.
"""

2. A common notation in guitar music is vibrato - is there any way to typeset such notation in Lilypond?

I could not find anything in the documentation nor in the LSR.
But I found this function in the archives:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2013-04/msg00793.html

I haven't tested it because there's no example file and I don't have time. If someone wants to test it and add it to the LSR...