Ignoring note clash

From: Knute Snortum
Subject: Ignoring note clash
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 07:56:38 -0700

This post is mostly for me to discover whether there's a better way to do what I'm doing.

The following code produces the output I want, but it suppresses a warning:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.18.2"
\language "english"

ignoreClash = \override NoteColumn.ignore-collision = ##t

\relative c {
  \clef bass
  \time 2/2

  <<
    \\
    { \acciaccatura { \stemUp <ef, ef'>8 } <ef ef'>1  }

}

If I remove \ignoreClash, I get a warning that there are too many clashing note columns.  The output is still fine.

My questions are these: 1) is there a better way to do this other than suppressing a warning, and 2) since it doesn't look like there are clashing note columns, what is the warning telling me exactly?

Knute Snortum
(via Gmail)