Re: Ignoring note clash

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Ignoring note clash
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 17:05:43 +0200

Am 11.06.2014 16:56, schrieb Knute Snortum:
This post is mostly for me to discover whether there's a better way to do
what I'm doing.

The following code produces the output I want, but it suppresses a warning:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.18.2"
\language "english"

ignoreClash = \override NoteColumn.ignore-collision = ##t

\relative c {
   \clef bass
   \time 2/2

   <<
     \\
     { \acciaccatura { \stemUp <ef, ef'>8 } <ef ef'>1  }

}
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

If I remove \ignoreClash, I get a warning that there are too many clashing
note columns.  The output is still fine.

My questions are these: 1) is there a better way to do this other than
suppressing a warning, and

I don't know if that's the best way to do it, but I'm doing exactly the same thing. Except that I'd write \once \override in such a function because more often than not you'll have a single event where you expect a notecolumn clash.

2) since it doesn't look like there are clashing
note columns, what is the warning telling me exactly?

by the \stemUp you force the lower voice to the same notecolumn as the upper. Which is true for the whole note too, although there is no visible collision. The solution is to write either \stemDown or \voiceTwo before the ef octave. Then you don't need \ignoreClash at all because you have removed the clash in the first place.

HTH
Urs

Knute Snortum
(via Gmail)