Re: Typesetting <b bes!> chord

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Typesetting <b bes!> chord
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 05:54:39 +0000 (UTC)

Vaughan McAlley <vaughan <at> mcalley.net.au> writes:

> I prefer what Lilypond does. In some modern contexts there might be a
> diagonal stem from the B natural to the stem of the B flat, but
> leaving it out is definitely easier.

There is an example of how to draw that diagonal stem at
  http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=505
but I also prefer the single-stem chord notation.

By default, LilyPond applies the usual rules for chords to this case,
and it works well.  The flat is printed left of the natural, so the
natural cannot be mistaken as canceling a double flat.

I leave these clusters printed as chords, and shift the flat a little
lower, so that the accidentals are staggered, and then I recognize it
as a chord of a second without hesitation.
 { <\tweak Accidental.Y-offset #0.2 b'!
    \tweak Accidental.Y-offset #-0.1 bes' >4  r4
   <a'! \tweak Accidental.Y-offset #-0.4 aes' >4  r4 }