Re: Irrational time signature and tuplets

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Irrational time signature and tuplets
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 11:19:20 +0200

On 13 Jun 2014, at 01:26, Mark Stephen Mrotek <address@hidden> wrote:

> Thank you for your detailed and informative response. I shall take time to
> study it and the references that you provide.

You are welcome.

In short, one can use any mathematically irrational number and work it back to
rational approximations using continued fractions. Continued fractions are also
useful when computing equal temperament approximations of intervals. For
example, for the perfect 5th rational interval 3/2, one takes the continued
fractions of log_2(3/2). The convergents, then, are 7/12, 24/41, 31/53, ...,
where the denominators are the equal temperaments 12, 41, 53, ..., and the
numerators 7, 24, 31, ..., the approximations of the perfect fifth in these
temperaments.