\relative versus \absolute (was "Re: Macro/multiply notes")

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: \relative versus \absolute (was "Re: Macro/multiply notes")
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 13:19:39 -0400

Hello all,

> the relative instead of absolute is less comfortable. But that's just me.

When I started with Lilypond (ca. 2003), I immediately latched on to relative
coding, and found absolute coding difficult, confusing, and [I thought] a waste
of time.

Now that I’m cranking out very big scores (e.g., 50+ staves, 20+ movements),
with lots of [potential] transpositions and code reuse, I am a
fine-manual-thumping born-again Absolute-ist: I now code everything in absolute
mode, and cannot believe how such a little change has improved my life.

I know it’s easier for some people to “get” relative mode… but as a result of
my experiences in the last year or so, I would get behind the idea of the ‘Pond
encouraging absolute mode over relative mode (e.g., in all official
documentation, etc.).

But, as you say, “that’s just me”.  =)

All the best,
Kieren.