Changing the direction of a tuplet bracket

From: Knute Snortum
Subject: Changing the direction of a tuplet bracket
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 14:01:53 -0700

I want to change the direction of a tuplet bracket (up in this case).  I read the manual on tuplets and it says

"Tuplet brackets may be manually placed above or below the staff; see Direction and placement."

But neither the tuplet nor the direction section has an example.  I figured the syntax would be like tweaks:

\version "2.18.2"
\language "english"

\relative c'' {
}

But this produces a syntax error.  I've tried putting the caret other places to no avail.

So what's the correct syntax?  And can an example be put in either the tuplet or the direction section of the manual?

Thanks.

Knute Snortum
(via Gmail)