Re: music

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: music
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 23:13:40 +0200

Am 17.06.2014 18:12, schrieb keira mccook:
I have dyslexia and i find it hard to read sheet music.I am starting uni in
September to study music. I've been instructed to improve my reading but it
seems impossible.is there any way you can help.
Hello Keira,

I don’t know if this is the right place to search for help with your problem. LilyPond is a music typesetting program, and it’s firstly intended to produce sheet music which follows usual standards, though with better typographical quality and thus also distinctly better readable than most other typesetting available. Nevertheless I don’t think it will be a substantial support in your case. The only thing which comes to my mind (and which has something to do with LilyPond) is Clairnote, an alternative notation system which claims to be easier to read in principle: <http://www.clairnote.org>. I’ve no idea whether this is in fact an improvement, and less so, if it comes to your case.
Else I can only say:
– Improvise! Improvisation is often underestimated and an extremely valuable way of making music. It does of course depend on the kind of music you’re in: it’s possible to improvise in (almost) every style, but for some it’s more common. And it’s important to have a good teacher, I think. – Or learn by heart! It’s what blind musicians do, and most certainly it’s not only a disadvantage of not being able to read sheet music, but it also allows a much deeper understanding of the music, both intellectually and emotionally, than if you only ever read the music from sheets.

I hope these small thought are of some use to you.
Best regards,

Simon