Crescendos, sforzandos, and "impossible" MIDI volumes

From: Knute Snortum
Subject: Crescendos, sforzandos, and "impossible" MIDI volumes
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 11:42:39 -0700

I want to start a discussion about this and maybe get a change into LilyPond.

Currently, you can get an "impossible (de)crescendo" error in LilyPond if your crescendo has a \sf in the middle [1].  It stops the crescendo and if you restart it, ending in any dynamic mark, you get an error.  This is because a \sf has a MIDI volume of 100% and this volume continues afterward.

My understanding of a sforzando is that it is an accent.  So my feeling is that it shouldn't act like a dynamic marking.  The MIDI volume of 100% is fine for the note this marking is on, but then the volume should go back to where it was before the sforzando and the crescendo should continue.

Thoughts?  Comments?

% [1] %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.18.2"

\score {