Re: BreathingSigns and automatic beams

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: BreathingSigns and automatic beams
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 08:49:04 +0200 (CEST)

>> I fully understand what you say, and similar symbols are used for
>> singers, too, however, I think this somehow contradicts what
>> lilypond is intended to do: engraving well-formatted music.  It's
>> not lilypond's job to imitate hand-written marks!  In other words,
>> I want to see some *printed* editions with such entries so that we
>> can adjust lilypond accordingly, if necessary.
>
> *
> http://imslp.org/wiki/200_%C3%89tudes_nouvelles_m%C3%A9lodiques_et_progressives_pour_cor_(Alphonse,_Maxime)
>  [...]

Thanks for the samples.  Basically all of them (except in the Franz
Strauss Notturno) look as if the breathing marks were added to the
already engraved plates...  Honestly, I think that this is ugly and
not good engraving.  However, it clearly shows that this symbol can be
positioned exactly on the bar if necessary :-)

    Werner