Re: What is it with \bar "||"?

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: What is it with \bar "||"?
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 20:52:26 +0200

> I recently had a problem with a \bar "||" at the end of a line suppressing
> the initial repeat sign in the following repeat volta section.  The answer
> was to use some magical \bar instead which cured the problem.  It was not
> clear to me then why the \bar "||" seemed to cause the following section to
> be treated as a new piece.
>
> I am now having a similar problem with the following code:
>
> \version "2.18.2"
>
> A =   \relative b' {
>         f4 g g a        % 16
>         \bar "||"
>         (f4) f f f      % 17
> }
>
> which throws an error: syntax error, unexpected EVENT_IDENTIFIER
> for the attempted slur across the double bar line.
>
> Is there a workaround for this?  If so, should I be able to figure it out?

This has nothing to do with the double barline, same would happen with
every other barline.

The Slur has to be started before \bar "whatever" is called.

\relative b' {
        f4 g g a(        % 16
        \bar "||"
        f4) f f f      % 17
}

> I still think the documentation about repeat signs only being suppressed at
> the beginning of a piece is wrong and should be fixed.  It might also be nice
> to have a better explanation why the \bar "||" has the effects it does.

Again, it has nothing to do with \bar "||", see:

\relative b' {
    c1
    \bar ""
    \break
    \repeat volta 2 { d }
}

The point is that \bar is a music-function setting 'whichBar and
\repeat does as well.

Now I have to guess, because lack of cc-knowledge:
\repeat is defined in cc, \bar in scheme. I guess \repeat is called
first and \bar second.
I.e. two commands at the same musical moment one overriding the other.

Cheers,
  Harm