Re: With \markup { \score { can I separately control the score size?

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: With \markup { \score { can I separately control the score size?
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 20:56:32 -0700 (PDT)

Simon Albrecht-2 wrote
>> The set-global-staff-size approach also seems
>> to leave the staff lines and stems proportionally thinner at larger
>> sizes.
> … which is a good thing, since it preserves the optical impression
> instead of keeping the numerical proportions.
> If the proportions would remain the same independent of the staff size,
> small staves would look too light and be more difficult to read, and
> large staves would become too heavy and appear clumsy.
> It’s the same with text fonts, by the way: high quality typefaces (e.g.
> the TeX standard Latin Modern font as used also in LilyPond) usually
> have different shapes for different font sizes. Thus large headers get
> thinner lines, more detail etc. and small annotations or whatever get
> broader lines and less detail for the sake of legibility and a
> consistent visual appearance.

Hi Simon,  You're right, and I didn't mean to imply that there was anything
wrong with set-global-staff-size.  I do find that at larger sizes (like 1.75
times or 2 times as large) I prefer the results of the strict scaling I get
with Inkscape to the results of set-global-staff-size (where the lines and
stems look too thin to me).  That's a size of 35 or 40, whereas the largest
size the feta font is optimized for is 25.2:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/setting-the-staff-size

So I wonder whether the proportions have been fine-tuned for sizes much
larger than that?  I should probably use set-global-staff-size at 25.2 and
then use Inkscape to scale up from there.

(Why such large staves?  For posting SVG images online.)

Cheers,
-Paul