Re: [openlilylib] Discuss restructuring

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: [openlilylib] Discuss restructuring
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2014 17:51:05 +0200

Hi,

I like your ideas on the wiki.

- I'd like to second especially the renaming/reodering of the
definitions file. It looks better without definition(s).ily at the end.
However, it means that the content of the library doubles (one folder
and one ily).
I am not sure, if it is a good idea, but the readme and the examples do
not need to be includable and internal files should then go to
helper-files (as far as I understand), so: how about only .ily files in
the include-path and the rest elsewhere?

- I had problems distinguishing these categories:
    - general-tools
    - input-shorthands
    - notation-snippets
    - specific-solutions

While I could understand some of those from their content (or the
description), I found it hard to draw the line between them in each case.
What you propose now (layout, tweaks, text, lyrics, notation) is more
intuitive for me. I see some border-cases/issues:
  - Is notation only for music? A function for lyrics or text would go
    in their categories?
  - I don't see yet what would go into »specific instruments/repertoire«
  - Where would the music-fonts go?
    (I would suggest the custom- because anything here is custom)
  - What is period?
  - Btw, I always found the »markup« annoying, because it is such a
    technical term. »text« would be more straightforward, even if it is
    extended with markup commands.

- Why is a 2nd »meta« folder inside library?
- +1 for the lowercase-dash-naming
- Will openlilylib and snippets be the same? Does openlilylib contain
all the LilyPond resources or only the the includable part and the meta
folders etc. I am a bit confused about the naming. lilylib is outdated,
right?
- I would like to remind the idea of a preview-image-overview over the
  library.

Those are just my comments.

Cheers,
Joram