Re: [openlilylib] Discuss restructuring

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: [openlilylib] Discuss restructuring
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2014 10:50:55 -0700 (PDT)

Uns Liska wrote
> I think that after an initial phase of trial & error we should
> now do it right and create a structure we can live with for the future.

Hi Urs,  This is looking like an improvement to me.  Here's a thought.  If
the emphasis is on include-ability, what about just having all the include
files at the same level in the "Library" directory, without needing to
categorize them by putting them in different directories by topic?  Then you
could just do \include "filename.ily" without having to remember what
category directory a file is in.  (Maybe stylesheets still gets a directory
since they are a clear case of a different kind of file with a specific
usage?)

It seems the category directories are mainly for navigation purposes, i.e.
for finding things, but could this be done (in a more flexible way) through
tags and/or search?  So a file can be tagged with more than one tag and you
can see a list of the files for any given tag.  I guess GitHub lends itself
to organization by nested categories-by-directory rather than by a flat list
with tags and search...

So... one simple way to provide for navigation is to have a GitHub wiki page
(or the main readme page?) that lists links to the files by category and/or
tag, and use that for navigation.  That has the advantage of giving you an
overview of what's in each category/tag, on a single page, rather than
having to open and close directories.  (This could be maintained manually,
but I suppose it could also be automated at some point.)

In any case, I think having fewer and broader categories is generally
better.

Cheers,
-Paul