Re: [openlilylib] Discuss restructuring

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: [openlilylib] Discuss restructuring
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2014 18:39:26 +0200

Am 05.07.2014 18:22, schrieb Paul Morris:
Uns Liska wrote
I have updated the Wiki page
https://github.com/openlilylib/openlilylib/wiki

and added a note about the reorganization process in the README.md on
the restructuring branch.

It's looking good to me.  From the wiki page:

"Probably it's a good idea to assign a primary tag (= category) to each
snippet and an arbitrary number of secondary tags (like alternative index
entries)."

The new directories you first suggested might be a good place to start for
such primary tags (if there is to be such a primary tag).

Yes, that's what I thought too.

Here they are:

     instruments
     layout
     lyrics
     markup
     meta (naming?)
         git-commands
         lilypond-version-predicates
     notation
     period
     stylesheets
     tweaks

There was some good feedback on these from earlier in the thread.

Some of them are good, some of them less so, I think.
Maybe we could start going through the existing snippets and consider possible tags for each of them. This will make a pool of suggestions where we can filter out from.

One question I still have is: Should the tags be flat too, i.e. single independent tags, or could there also be a hierarchy (which would then be reflected in the documentation)?

For example I could imagine tagging a snippet
markup->headers or
notation->rhythm->polymetrics

It would also make sense to use the same structure as in the Notation Reference. Hm?

If there are to be directories for stylesheets, templates, and
custom-music-fonts, then shouldn't they all go under oll to get the
namespace benefit?  Users may want to use these directory names for their
own templates, stylesheets, etc. that aren't part of oll.

Seems like custom-music-fonts could be shortened to music-fonts.

I had partially done that already, but only on the Wiki, not in the README. I've now updated both (this duplication isn't intended to be persistent...).

Urs

Cheers,
-Paul