Re: legato lyrics

From: Martin Tarenskeen
Subject: Re: legato lyrics
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2014 21:24:05 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 5 Jul 2014, Phil Holmes wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "tisimst" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Saturday, July 05, 2014 4:27 PM

 2. If you really want to have that slur (it is appropriate at times),

I would say that there is almost no situation where a slur is appropriate to indicate legato to a singer. Its almost universal meaning is to show melisma, as I said. If it's not for this purpose, it's for phrasing/breathing and a phrasing slur would be appropriate.

Thank you all. I learnt a few things again. Most important being the difference between a legato and a phrasing slur. In the real score I am working on (the Twinkle thing was just a tiny example) I needed both.

In the Twinkle example a phrasing slur (or no slur at all) would be the correct choice.

--

MT