Re: LilyPond meeting 2014?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: LilyPond meeting 2014?
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2014 17:19:50 +0200

Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

>> On 7. Juli 2014 16:24:34 MESZ, "Janek Warchoł" <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>It's been almost two years since the Waltrop 2012 LilyPond Meeting, in
>>>which i had the pleasure to participate.  What about organizing
>>>another meeting this year?
>>>
>>>- who'd be interested?
>>>- where? (David, are you interested in being the host again?)
>>>- when? (i suggest 15-17 August)
>>>
>>>If the meeting will take place within 1500 km from Warsaw (e.g. at
>>>Waltrop) and there will be at least 4 other participants, count me in
>>>:)
>
> I'll be definitely unavailable Aug 10-24. This doesn't mean that other
> dates would work, but that's what I can say right now.

The Waltroper Parkfest <URL:http://www.waltroper-parkfest.de> runs from
August 29th to August 31st.  It is an excellent diversion for
accompanying guests and participants, though no participants actually
were inclined to go there in 2012.  For German-speaking participants,
let me quote

    Das Waltroper Parkfest findet 2014 an den letzten drei Augusttagen
    statt. Highlights des Ostvest-Kulturspektakels auf vier Bühnen sind
    Auftritte von Juli, Hennes Bender, Brings und Too Strong, sowie eine
    gemeinsame Show der NDW-Stars Markus, Geier Sturzflug, Hubert Kah
    und Fräulein Menke.

Putting the meeting in parallel with the Parkfest in a similar manner as
last time would place it on August 28th to September 2nd, with the start
and end days mostly being for arrival and departure.  The disadvantage
is that the availability of external accommodation may be strained
during the Parkfest so one should book soon enough if that is desired.
Camping on our premises is possible, and we can accommodate a number of
people in the house, particularly if they have sleeping bags of their
own.

> Apart from that I have an idea about a beautiful and appropriate
> location in Stuttgart I could ask for.

I don't know about "appropriate" but the surroundings here _are_ rather
scenic.  Judging from the last meeting, nobody can bother with going
outside anyway as long as the Internet is up.  And we've more than
doubled our bandwidth as compared to last time when it was at 1Mbps.

This year's bird sightings on the premises include cuckoos, great tits,
white wagtails, green woodpeckers, black redstarts, barn swallows,
spotted flycatchers, magpies, yellowhammers, buzzards and a number of
others.

If there is sufficient interest, I'd be quite willing to host another
meeting.  Waltrop is north of Dortmund in the Ruhr area.

--
David Kastrup